One head of radicchio di Treviso (the long rather than the round)
One jar of cannellini beans (you could soak dried beans for 13 hours and
make them yourself, but using them ready-made from jar works just fine)
Olive oil – the best you can find
1. Pre-heat broiler.
2. Split the head of radicchio in half lengthwise and wash it well; drain it and pat it dry; leave a little moisture; salt the radicchio well.
3. Spread the leaves out on a broiling pan about 6 to 8 inches below the hot broiler; watch it carefully; when the edges begin to blacken, remove it from the broiler; this blackening is the secret of the phenomenal taste of this dish.
4. Turn the broiler off, but leave the oven door closed so that the oven stays nice and warm.
5. Generously pour very good olive oil over the leaves and then spoon the beans over.
6. Set it back in the still warm oven until you’re ready to serve.
- Recipe courtesy of Michael Tucker