Just in time for Cinco de Mayo, these recipes - one each for the meat lover, seafood lover and vegetarian - were created by Chef Eduardo Garcia, co-founder of Montana Mex seasoning salts, which are used in each recipe (and available online). What's better than melted cheese mixed with mexican spices?
Lamb And Mint Fundido
1 lb of ground lamb
6 Tablespoons of chopped fresh mint
2 Tablespoons minced fresh garlic
6 Tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme, woody stems removed
3 teaspoons Montana Mex Picante Salt
4 oz Oaxaca Cheese, grated
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
Pre-heat oven on Low Broil
1. Large saute pan, on medium heat, add olive oil and lamb, saute and break as you would ground beef for tacos, about 4 minutes.
2. Add thyme, garlic, Montana Mex picante salt and saute until garlic is cooked, about 2 minutes.
3. Turn off heat, add all the mint and stir to combine well.
4. In a shallow oven-proof dish/casserole dish, spread meat mixture evenly on the bottom, and cover with all the grated Oaxaca Cheese.
5. Broil on Low in the oven until cheese is melted and golden brown, about 2 minutes.
Serve warm with warm corn tortillas/favorite tortilla chips.
Roasted Poblano and Mushroom Fundido
2 cups Crimini Mushrooms, quartered
1/2 cup skin off, roasted and chopped poblano chile
2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Montana Mex Chile Salt
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
4 oz Oaxaca Cheese, Grated
Optional: 2 Tablespoon Toasted Pumpkin Seeds/Pepitos
Pre heat Oven to Low Broil
1. In a Large Saute Pan over Medium Heat, add oil and mushrooms, saute for about 4 minutes.
2. Add Poblano and Montana Mex Chile Salt, saute 1 minute.
3. In a shallow oven-proof dish/casserole dish, spread mixture evenly on the bottom, and cover with all the grated Oaxaca Cheese.
4. Broil in the Oven until cheese is melted and golden brown, about 2 minutes.
Garnish with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds (if using).
Serve hot with warm corn tortillas/tortilla chips.
Shrimp and Sweet Corn Fundido
1/2 pound peeled and de-veined small shrimp (Note to cook, not for
posted recipe: 20-22 size shrimp)
1/2 cup frozen sweet corn kernels
1 teaspoon Montana Mex Chile Salt
1 teaspoon Montana Mex Sweet Salt
2 teaspoons Fresh garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 oz Fresh Oaxaca Cheese, grated
Pre heat oven on Low Broil
1. In a large skillet on medium heat, add olive oil and shrimp, saute for 2 minutes
2. Add Corn, garlic, Montana Mex Chile Salt, Montana Mex Sweet Salt and saute until shrimp are fully cooked, remove from heat.
3. Allow shrimp to cool for a few minutes, then chop into bite size pieces.
4. Take mixture and place evenly on bottom of oven proof dish/casserole dish.
5. Sprinkle all the oaxaca cheese evenly over the mixture, and broil until cheese melts and is golden-brown.
Serve warm with fresh Corn Tortillas or favorite tortilla chips.