The TEN THINGS (even if you don’t cook) to keep in your KITCHEN at all times (so you can make yourself something decent to eat for breakfast, lunch or dinner) even if you only shop for real food once a month:
1. OLIVE OIL. Buy good quality in small quantity. Olive oil should be kept at room temperature, (best temperature is 55 degrees) away from harsh sunlight (putting it in the refrigerator will make it turn cloudy), with the top tightly sealed. If properly stored, olive oil lasts 6 months after it has been opened, and a year if unopened.
2. KOSHER SALT. The real difference between ordinary table salt and kosher (or sea salt) is the texture. Kosher salt has larger irregular shaped grains, which make it great for cooking. Kosher salt will keep for 3 to 5 years without a loss in quality.
3. PEPPER. Pepper holds its taste for 2 to 3 years. It adds flavor to everything. Use it.
4. EGGS. Eggs need to be refrigerated. Keep eggs in their carton in the coldest part of your refrigerator. Throw away any eggs that are cracked or broken. Fresh eggs in the shell last for 3 to 4 weeks.
5. One piece of good CHEESE. Hard cheese lasts for 4 to 6 weeks, even after opened. Cheddar. Swiss. Your favorite.
6. One loaf of BREAD. If you don’t eat enough bread to finish a loaf in a week, FREEZE it. Frozen bread is good for 2 to 3 months.
7. An ONION: Keep them in a cool, dry, well-ventilated spot and they will last for up to two months. However, after you’ve cut them, onions need to be wrapped and refrigerated and will be ready to be tossed after a week.
8. At least one piece of FRESH FRUIT. Apples, if refrigerated, can last for over a month.
9. BUTTER. In the refrigerator it lasts for 3 months. If you freeze it, the butter should be good for a year. Left out on the counter, it will keep for about a week.
10. A bottle of WINE. Drink a glass. Use it to sauté onions. Any meal tastes better with a glass of wine. Cheers!
From these ingredients, you can at anytime make:
1. Scrambled eggs and toast
2. Cheese omelet
3. Sautéed onion omelet
4. Cheese and onion omelet
5. Grilled cheese sandwich
6. Poached eggs on toast
7. Fried egg sandwich
8. Hardboiled eggs with toast
9. Sliced apple, sliced cheese, toast and butter.
10. Sautéed onions in olive oil spread on bread with cheese and placed under the broiler.
No need to call for take-out. Open the refrigerator and in ten minutes you’re eating.
What are your ten things?
London - British Isles
by Nancy Ellison