3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking soda
2½ teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup (1½ sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 teaspoons white distilled vinegar
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 15 to 16 minutes
Yield: about 4 dozen cookies
1. Heat oven to 325 F.
2. Mix flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves in large bowl.
3. In another large bowl, beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 1 minute. Gradually beat in sugar; continue to beat on medium speed until combined, 2 minutes.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Beat in molasses and vinegar until combined, 1 minute.
5. On low speed, beat in flour mixture.
6. For each cookie, roll 1 rounded tablespoon dough into ball; place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. With fork, flatten each and make cross-hatch pattern.
7. Bake in oven 15 to 16 minutes, until slightly browned around edges. Remove cookies.
Copyright 2000, Tipper Gore
by Kitty Kaufman